The Emergency Solutions Grants program (ESG) is to provide the services necessary to help persons that are at-risk of homelessness or homeless quickly regain stability in permanent housing. The ultimate goal is to enable homeless individuals and families to live independently by connecting them with the appropriate essential social services, supportive services and other kinds of assistance they need to improve their situation.
The ESG program is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and is administered by the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) in the State of Texas.
The ESG program provides funding to:
• Engage homeless individuals and families living on the street
• Improve the number and quality of emergency shelters for homeless individuals and families
• Help operate these shelters
• Provide essential services to shelter residents
• Rapidly re-house homeless individuals and families and
• Prevent families and individuals from becoming homeless.